Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Sharing is Caring


I went to an estate sale last Spring in Norfolk. It was amazing and scary at the same time... The elderly couple that lived in the home were both artists. She was a textile designer, and he was a writer and composer. Both were artists in every fashion and it was represented in the artwork throughout their beautiful, dilapidated house.

This pottery set was found in the corner of (what was probably) the dining room. The bowls, plates, dishes and cups were all created by the late Dr. Lester Knorr, the man who lived in the home. There are more than 80 pieces, and are dated 1962.

I've taken the pieces in and out of their (three) boxes several times; I still can't get over the intricate designs. I have never been so happy with a purchase. But now the time has come to let others enjoy the fine work of Dr. Knorr.

If you see anything you're interested in at any time, please feel free to contact me by email at adgrove@gmail.com

1 comment:

  1. Hi there, somehow I stumbled upon your blog, and found this pottery. I met Lester Knorr and his wife quite a while back when I was involved with the Tidewater Artists Association (I think he may even have been Pres then??). Anyway, I did attend some parties at their house, and yes, it was both arty and creepy at the same time!

    Mrs. Knorr had some neat collage pieces, tho I'm not sure that I saw Lester's pottery. Those pieices you have are quite nice. Great find!

    BTW, I have a blog also -- its new -- I'm just fleshing it out now and trying to build a readership. Hope you'll check it out and maybe become a regular: www.jojosjoie.blogspot.com

    Thanks and I'll check back with your site, too!

    ReplyDelete